We have a 0,5 hectare farm in which we have animals (birds, ducks, turkeys, chickens, sheep, goats and dogs), different fruit trees, a field of olives, a barn and our house.
Our small farm is at Foros do Cortiço, just 7 kms from Montemor-o-Novo city center - 100 kms from Lisbon and 30 kms from Évora. It’s a very calm place to be, with a beautiful nature surrounding us. It’s particularly interesting if you like to observe birds or if you like astronomy. It’s also very nice if you like walking or riding a bicycle.
We would like to host for at least 2 to 3 weeks, but long term hosts are also possible. Depending on the hosting time we would like to develop the following projects:
- Make a bigger organic garden to produce vegetables, create an aromatic plants garden and other small gardens.
- Recover an old caravan and transform it into a room;
- Create the final conditions to host tourists in tends and motor homes (create shadows, footpaths, etc.)
- Different restoration, renovation and reparation works;
- Help in the implementation of events.
Some regular task would be:
- Take care of the animals (feeding and cleaning);
- All the necessary works to maintain healthy trees as well as healthy organic gardens;
- Preparing firewood (in the winter time);
- Cutting grass.
We expect volunteers to commit with 5 hours a day of work, for 5 days a week. However sometimes some flexibility will be needed due to weather constrains.
We created a private room a part from the house, with a bed and a small kitchen (it has a fridge, a little oven and a table) for a volunteer, with a shower and a toilet outside (very close to that room). Camping is also available if you prefer to live outdoors, with that room being transformed into a community kitchen which you can use, as well as other visitors. We offer you three meals a day, but you can also cook yourself in your room/community kitchen depending, with the vegetables, fruits and eggs of the farm.
We hope you are interested in our project. We would like to share our dream with people from all over the world and make this experience richer and richer every day!
When can you visit Mor Naturae?